Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Getting Off The Grid - Those Dirty Rotten Blood Suckers



Here we go again, I am having to deal with the worst pest of all time way ahead of the normal time of the year. Since we had a wonderful mild Winter the mosquitoes have hatched off early and they are out to torture me and the animals.

Tony wanted to to hunt down the worst bug killer we have ever bought but I cannot breathe when that is sprayed, so I looked around Walmart and found one that I am sure will keep the bugs at bay and will not take my air from me and the dogs and cat can have a life outside.



I also bought a couple rolls of garden wire to apply around the bottom of the fence to keep the beagle inside the fenced in back yard, he is an escape artist! Plus I think I have a solution to keep Roscoe from tearing up the backside of the house, I am moving the gate down to the far end of the yard so that the back of the house is out of his reach, problem solved I hope.

On Monday I mowed the back yard where the dogs live and I trimmed the overgrown hedges till I can get them cut to the ground, enough for me to be able to walk under them. Things would be much easier if they were gone, although right now they do filter the noise from the road.

I am sure once I got the chain saw going that this place would be cut back in one day, of course it would take an extra day to haul it down to the back field to burn or leave to rot but that is the easy part. 

Or make charcoal! For instructions read Carol Taylor`s step by step instructions : How to make charcoal  


I have not worked anymore in garden I am just watering till we get rain nor have I sown anymore seed, but the signs are the best for the weekend so maybe I can reserve a day for just planting.



I am watching the blackberries, all in full bloom and beautiful, I cannot hardly wait to taste the first of this years crop. I have many plans for them so if its Gods will I will have a big harvest.

That is about all that is going on around the homestead, how about you? What is happening in your neck of the woods?

By Andria Perry
Photos By Andria Perry

8 comments:

  1. Mosi's are the bane of our lives we burn mosi things and I have an electronic one for the kitchen. They don't like me but love my son they just feast on him given the chance even if he surrounds himself with the things we burn it's just like they say ok..you don't scare us ..nasty things. Thank you so much for the charcoal mention much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added a link so you can teach us all this charcoal making.

      Delete
  2. I do not like to go outside in the summer time because of the mosquitoes. They eat me a live and I have tried everything you can think of to keep them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually spray the area, the old times spray cotton poison. I am learning to have a can of off on my pocket :)

      Delete
  3. Hello from Idaho found your blog by the way of Sandy...those blood sucker all ready. It will a while for them to show up here in North Idaho.
    If you fine the time stop in for a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Nice to meet you. I will stop around, love coffee.

      Delete
  4. I love spring when all the buds from flowers and vegetables sprout out. But I can do without the mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harvesting asparagus that I planted last year. Yum!

    ReplyDelete