Sunday, April 9, 2017

Getting Off The Grid - How To Home Can Sauerkraut



A few weeks ago I wrote an article about how to make sauerkraut  after getting this awesome deal on cabbage, a quarter a head! And I followed the way that the Amish make their sauerkraut. I am also following the way that they home can the kraut to make it last.

For more about : How to make sauerkraut 

I must say that making your own kraut is a big job and it takes a couple weeks but I am looking to make the kraut to last me for a good long time, making a stock of it for a year if possible.

Today I had two gallon jars filled with fermented cabbage and it was ready to be put in the fridge or home canned, I always chose to home can foods. 

First :  I cleaned my jars and got the lids and seals ready.

Two : I put the pressure canner on the stove eye filled with the correct amount of water and a dash of vinegar.

Three : I removed the kraut by putting it in a large glass bowl, not all fits but you can shake it out as needed for the jars. The reason I take it out of the gallon jar first is that its packed tight and difficult to dip out.


Four : Fill the pint jars 3/4 full with the kraut.

Five : Divide the brine equally and if it lacks enough to within 1/2 inch head space add hot salty water, remember to use canning salt.



Six : Wipe jar rim clean and apply lids.

Seven : Put up to 7 pints in the pressure canner and process 20 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.

Allow the canner to cool, label and store your home canned sauerkraut in a cool dark place till you are ready to eat it.



Two gallon jars filled with the fermented cabbage made 18 pints of sauerkraut.  I divided the jars in three cooking sessions for the pressure canner. 7 the first batch, 6 the next batch and 5 for the last batch.

I have to say that I am satisfied with the results of this sauerkraut and I actually shredded another cabbage to make another batch!

I really enjoyed learning how to make this simple food and its wonderful to add to my food stockpile.

By Andria Perry
Photos by Andria Perry

14 comments:

  1. That was quick a project! It looks delicious and you have a great supply for hotdogs and sauerkraut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love it and I have plenty for the year,

      Delete
  2. That looks yummy! I have not had kraut in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat it right out of the jar, after its cold :)

      Delete
  3. Do you think if I canned like you do it should store out of the fridge methinks??? As jars from the supermarket do if not opened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is why I home canned it, so that it will last me a year, out of the fridge.

      Delete
  4. I just put up strawberry preserves. Also baked up a couple banana nut breads. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yum! I love both, I have not made banana bread in a long time.

      Delete
  5. I had no idea that is what it took to make. There is a lot more involved than I thought. I do not do much canning, although maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like fresh sauerkraut, but if you don't have the refrigerator room, you have to can it. I still plan to make sauerkraut, but in a smaller batch so I can eat it raw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must feel really good to have finished this job and have a good supply in for the year. Canning anything scares me a bit. I've only canned jams and sweet fruits. Now I don't have room to can or any fruit or vegetables to try canning. I admire people like you who produce and preserve so much of their own food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will make room to store home made goodness :)

      Delete