Thursday, April 13, 2017

Getting Off The Grid - First Planting 2017



The seed were sown back in January and February for the two types of tomatoes I am raising this year. Big boys and Rutgers. I babied them all Winter and took them outside a few weeks ago to get used to the temperatures and the sun, I do expect a little sun burn but not that much. 

The green sweet bell peppers are also waiting to get into the ground, Sown from seeds by me back in February, they are a nice size and I am due for a good year of peppers for the freezer, jellies and relishes. 




Most of the old timers around these parts plant on good Friday but when I looked at the old farmers almanac Good Friday falls on a poor planting day but Thursday was a perfect day.

I followed the almanac, it has not failed me yet.


One row was tilled, since the ground was plowed by tractor last year it is still soft, with only me and a few wild animals walking on it, so it was not difficult.

Then 41 tomato plants were planted and 8 of the green sweet bell pepper plants.

I saved three tomato plants and I still have a row of sweet bell peppers to plant next week, the tomatoes will be planted by the deck, another way than in the garden. 

I took my sister the tomatoes she asked for and a bell pepper plant, I ave her the heads up on when to plant and I am sure she did as the almanac predicted.


Why so many tomato plants? I am planning to make many tomato products this year. Since I bought the sauce maker I am sure it will be easier to make ketchup and spaghetti sauce to home can. Another step to getting off the grid, not depending on store bought condiments and sauces.

When do you plant tomatoes? Do you have a secret way of planting them?

By Andria Perry
Photos By Andria Perry

4 comments:

  1. June 1st. Night temps should be around 60 then. Will start my seeds Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shows how the zones work with planting!

      Delete
  2. I have no luck with tomatoes here although that was when I lived in Phuket so I may try again. You are doing so well with your plans all looking good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes try again since you are in a different place.

      Delete