Thursday, April 27, 2017

Getting Off The Grid - Clearing More Land


I think my entire life I have been the odd one, the one that fits in but in the back of my mind I want more so I always want to push things to the next level. Determined to make it, to be what I want to be regardless of people telling me I cannot do it.

However, I do have days when its one of those " one step closer and two steps back," and I will be the first to say that it can beat your down mentally. I just take a day to feel sorry for myself and then jump back in with both feet.


Tuesday me and Tony cleared a section of land that we have wanted to develop for a very long time. Since Tony is still sick he sat down on the ground with the electric chainsaw and cut the small trees down while I removed them and piled them on the truck, after three hours of cutting and pulling, loading and hauling down to the back of the property we were very tired, so I left a few of the smaller limbs to clean up another day. 

The area cleared is about/ around 15 feet by 30 feet. I want a greenhouse but he wants to put the root cellar/ storm shelter in that spot.

Either will work because it does have a slight slope for good drainage. By June I will know for sure what we will have there, it all depends on if I can get someone to bring equipment to dig a root cellar, if not it`ll be a greenhouse by the end of this year. If it goes toward root cellar then I will clean more land and put the greenhouse there. Either will be a win win.



I mowed down the garden area last Saturday, I began to mow down the pitiful section of greens that had went to flowers and seed. It was hard on the mower so I would only do it in sections, I left one spot for next time, plus there are a few turnips that Tony will eat raw and I may get seeds for next year. Notice the tomato plants at the bottom of the photo?



I do have flowers. I don`t know what this plant is but I thought it was pretty so I let it stay and took its picture.




I have heard of rose petal jelly, should I try to make it and see if its something I would enjoy?



The mint is growing the fastest, ever and I will begin to harvest and dry this soon and do it all summer long.

This weekend, if its Gods will, I will have the newly cut spot completely cleaned off and smooth as the rest of the cut grass.

That`s a few days in the life.... Headed off the grid.

By Andria Perry
Photos by Andria Perry

10 comments:

  1. I have shallots growing wild in the back yard. If it stops raining I plan on planting sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sunflowers! I do not think the shallots came back here this year.

      Delete
  2. For the first time since I have lived here I have all types of things growing. My rose bush has bloomed and giving me more than one rose this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful, feed it and it will have more each month.

      Delete
  3. What an adventure! I moved in 2013, from an area where many people lived off the grid. I was in a cabin - but we had electricity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never intended to live without power, I want solar power. Did you live the lifestyle?

      Delete
  4. My gosh Andria, you are a work-aholic! You have accomplished so much and looks great. Is mint easy to grow? I'd love to try it since I like it in my tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and it spreads so plant it where it can go wild, I love walking by and brushing against it and the wonderful smell. It dies down and comes back each year.

      Delete