Monday, February 27, 2017

Getting Off The Grid - Get It Done While Its Available




I am a true believer of getting rid of all the additives from our diets because I am pretty sure that is where most of our allergies come from and maybe even some diseases, I almost died from a new additive to milk when I was in my early twenties so I have to watch out for those dangers in my food.

This past week I have home canned foods I did not grow nor did I raise the animals but I did buy the food fresh and I home canned it without those additives and preservative that I can not even pronounce.

More about : Canning the meat 



I heard that a popular grocery stores had strawberries on sale for $1.00 per pound and another small grocery store had  eight pounds of potatoes $2.50, all of those prices are acceptable for me to buy and add to the homed canned food stock. 

Ground beef was on sale for $1.69 per pound and I bought four packs but it went into the freezer till I got the berries taken care of since they have a short shelf life.

What is better than to get the meat, the vegetable and the dessert all for under $20 and make many meals?



Sunday I woke early and I took advantage of the quiet time, I cleaned and chopped the strawberries. 

First chopped the berries and covered them with a little sugar, covered and allowed them to sit for around 5 hours, so the juices would all come out. I made eight half pints of just strawberries in light syrup because later in the summer a strawberry cobbler is awesome!

Then I knew I would have strawberry shortcake for desert so I sliced about a quart of berries and with the left over syrup from the strawberries I canned earlier I made a glaze that was to die for! I had one serving , around 1 cup, left over so I froze it.

Last I got the jam made, nine half pints.

BUT I also made another trip to the grocery store while I was picking up medication and I bought another 10 pounds :)

I really want to home can strawberry pie filling and make strawberry butter, smooth like apple butter. I am saving those for Monday after work.



I also home canned Irish potatoes. I peeled and diced seven pints. I actually love that I can put some up for another day and still have plenty to slice and fry or bake or actually have a baked potato smothered in butter and sour cream.



A couple days ago I picked mustard greens and turnip greens, I cooked and froze a meal and had a meal of greens for dinner, as my dinner. Since the rains and warm weather coming back I think I will have greens to can up for the rest of the summer, and I will share with my friends too.

Read more : Turnip Greens and more 

Another thing I bought while I was out and about this evening, Jalapeno pepper seeds and more tomato seeds, For the peppers I got those small peat cups .87 a dozen is not to bad at all. I plan to make cowboy candy, pepper jelly and pickles me some sliced for my beans and greens or my Mexican cooking. 

The moon is good and I will plant the Jalapenos today, Monday 27, 2017.

That is what went on at the homestead the weekend of February 25th. and 26th. 

How about you? Get anything accomplished?


By Andria Perry
Photos By Andria Perry

4 comments:

  1. You get an early start. Still dealing with under freezing temps this weekend. I need to get my shellfish and fishing license so I will be ready for the weather breaks. Foraging is right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you talking about you and Dave going down and getting shell fish, clams, off the beach. I would love to do that! I also have to get my fishing license so I can go fishing to begin my fish stockpile, I will be home canning some this year. Keep us update on your progress.

      Delete
  2. I haven't accomplished anything in the kitchen all week. Except beef roast in the crockpot. I have been to sick to cook. I did make peanut butter energy balls tonight. Some friends were over and helped to eat them up. I only have a few left. I will have to make some more. As I plan to have a few of those in the morning. When I don't feel like eating a big breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never want breakfast. But I like energy balls. I have to get my butt in gear and get more things done at home.

    ReplyDelete