Sunday, October 21, 2018

Getting Off The Grid - That Dirty Word!


I have been so happy in my little world of hot weather and vegetable gardening. Still gathering in mid October. 

Last night I heard the dirty word, cold. Yes the weather lady said by Monday night it would be a crispy 39 degrees and in these woods that could mean a frost/freeze for me since its somewhat colder.

This week I have had this drive deep inside to home can food, maybe it stems from hurricane Michael, maybe its just me.



I have home canned 72 pints of mixed greens, mustard and turnip, kale and collards. But I gave someone in Florida a case to take home with them, so I have 60 pints so far, I may can more this evening. I will try to gather more this week to get them done, just in case. Besides canning for myself I have cooked and frozen two quarts and gave them to an elderly lady and cooked and froze 2 more quarts for my sister, I have picked and gave away so many grocery sacks packed with greens, mostly to the elderly, a few sacks for my friend, I do think I was blessed with greens this year. I give thanks to God.



While at Walmart I seen carrots for .94 per two pounds so I bought a couple, making four pounds. I home canned six pints, sliced, and I made Lentil soup with the rest, I got six pints of soup. 

I had left over beef roast, not much, but I had plenty of broth so I made seven pints of vegetable beef soups.


The hickory nuts are falling and there seems to be many this year, I reckon I need to get the hammer out and try to smash them enough to pick some of the goody out. I hate to waste them and not many people wants to try and pick them. However, my friend did ask for some to try and I took her about a half sack.


We picked the lemons off the small tree I have in a huge pot, there were 17 this year and they smell so good!

I will began to prepare for wintertime, heat, I need to try out the heater one day soon before it get really cold.

How are you doing on your homestead? 

By Andria Perry

Photos By Andria Perry

6 comments:

  1. Harvested 4 butternut squash from fence. Froze 2 gallon bags of kale. Left the turnips in the ground to harvest when work at Ocean Spray is done. Harvested tons of red and green cherry tomatoes which I shared at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about the Ocean Spray job. Sounds like you got a good amount from your garden.

      The turnips are not big enough to harvest here.

      Delete
  2. Not a lot of nuts. Lot of pawpaws and persimmons, but I've never canned them--just eaten! Not a lot of apples, because the deer beat me to most of them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,Andria, I am a fellow Southerner and enjoy reading about your self reliant lifestyle, living your dream...good for you! At one time there were hickory nut trees every where here, but now most of them are gone; I always enjoyed them even though it was hard to get the meat out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you for reading. I have the one hickory nut tree and I think its enough for me. However, I have planted a few pecan and I plan to add more.

      Delete