Sunday, November 11, 2018

Getting Off The Grid - I`m Still Homesteading and Cooking Roots


Life is always about ups and downs, No one is always going to have the perfect life and no one will always have the down and out parts of life. Its how we handle each situation and move on that is important.


Living on a homestead is the same, so I am figuring out. You have to go with the flow and not fight it, what will be will be, its all Gods will. 

I was not blessed with some foods that I eat regular but I am blessed beyond my imagination with another.

This summer it was all about okra. I did get the perfect amount to put up for myself as well as shared with so many people. 



This fall its all about greens, where I am not seeing many collard plants I do have curly mustard, kale and turnip greens, now with a little age I have those wonderful purple top turnips. I have gave away as many greens as I have canned or more. 

I do enjoy giving fresh vegetables from my garden, especially greens, the wonderful punch of vitamins in eat bite. I do not ask for anything back but at times someone will give me something from their homestead as a trade but its not necessary.

Winter is here, no not by the calendar but by the cold air and freezes, so there is not much I can grow, yet, without a cold frame or greenhouse. I still do not have the greenhouse thing down.

So, its dreaming time, make that plan.

My plan is to let this homestead make me money while I live on it. I never dream little, I have big dreams that I will take slow and one step at a time. When I seen it by just looking, I did write it down, drawings and all.

For now its just the time of the year where I need to look hard at what the homestead has to offer me and get busy gathering it.

Now Lets Cook!  

Turnips taste spicy when ate raw and completely different when cooked, more like the taste of the green but more intense. 

Today I made boiled turnips with butter.



First trim off the tops and the roots.

Wash the turnips in cold water.

Cut the bigger ones in half so the will all cook properly.



Add just enough water to cover the turnips and boil on medium heat.

When done, you can stick a fork in it and its soft but not mushy.

Add salt, a sprinkle of sugar and a generous amount of butter.

That is it! Enjoy.

What is going on, on your homestead? 

By Andria Perry

Photos by Andria Perry

8 comments:

  1. This is a cool article, Angie. I really do not know anything about preparing turnips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you do! :) they are good but I am not crazy about them like some people.

      Delete
  2. Make that plan is great incentive! Thanks as always great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might enjoy some of my mother's recipes for turnips. https://findingmymom.wordpress.com/2015/07/12/making-turnip-slaw/ and https://findingmymom.wordpress.com/2016/06/13/make-turnip-kraut/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like raw turnips in a salad. Glad you have all those home-grown veg...I've had home-grown raw greens (the "weeds" in the orchard) and home-grown fruit, this year. A friend's tomatoes didn't make me sick before spraying along a nearby railroad, but did later. Another friend served cooked zucchini...I was amazed to find myself *craving* zucchini. And no, they didn't make me sick.

    I am becoming a total anti-glyphosate bore these days. Stop me! Help ban the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No spray, no anything put on my garden. So far its been almost pest free.

      Delete