Sunday, October 7, 2018

Getting Off The Grid - First Of The Fall


Its been a while since I have talked about the homestead. Seems life is in the fast lane and I have not slowed down to sit and talk about the homestead.

Summer has came to an end, as far as the calendar is concerned, and Fall is on us. Here in central Alabama the temps are the same as in summer so I am still waiting for the fall weather to come by and set a spell.


The Homestead :

I have not really did much on the homestead, I have been in the business mode.

I am not sure if I will try the greenhouse this year, it flopped last year, however I still have it. 

I have planned out the entire homestead, how to always have something to harvest, now I need to apply that plan and get life going. 

I need to build another dog house and rake the pine straw, other than that all is good.


From The Garden :

A dry spell came and stayed a while, slowed down or killed, any vegetables that were or may still bear till freeze. 



Then we had a couple days of rain and with that rain I got greens up and growing.

Finally I got to harvest enough to put in a green salad. A week later I picked 2 huge sacks.



The okra is still bearing, I am getting a few quarts a week now, I am giving away more than I keep at the moment.


The stockpile :

I have been lazy, I know this. Seems all I have canned or frozen are fruits. 

I still have muscadine juice waiting to be made into jelly.



But I did get off the road long enough to home can greens. I did the first yesterday, I got 7 pints of mixed greens. I will try to do more later so that I will have at least some put away for that rainy day.

I have been slicing okra for the freezer so no shortage of okra but I have been sharing as much as I keep with the elderly. 

The Learning :

 I have not learned anything much about homesteading this past month. But what I have learned is that people are not as nice as they pretend to be. 

I have to say, I am what you see, what you see is what you get.


By Andria Perry
Photos By Andria Perry

Come by and see me : Sunshine`s homestead creations 

6 comments:

  1. At least you got something this season has been bad many many things. As far as, people go, you have to use and listen to your instincts. Some people are what they appear to be and other are not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree. Yes I will keep up the garden till it freezes.

      Delete
  2. "I am what you see, what you see is what you get." - my favorite kind of people :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely place there you have Angie with everything growing and supplying life.
    I imagine you are so busy with that SunshinesCreations too. Happy Fall, hope the weather comes to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I am managing everything. But I love all this homesrread work so it feels easy.

      Delete