Sunday, August 19, 2018

Getting Off The Grid - Its Stalling


August is the month that you either harvest or it dries up, typical Alabama weather makes sure of it. Its hot and dry. 

This year was not the best year for the vegetable garden but was good for the wild things I eat like the mushrooms, honeysuckle and roses, wild berries like blackberry. 

God provides us with what we need each year.

The solar seems further off but yet closer than ever, does that make sense? The well water? Even closer! 

The Homestead :



One constant for sure this summer is the grass, its an endless job, I am sure I could mow daily!

I have cactus to plant when I pick the perfect spot. I need to make sure its not close to were we go often.

I also received from a wonderful online friend a cutting of Rhubarb and I potted it up but I will clean out a flower bed and make it a home there. 

The rain finally came today, with sun and then more rain and on and on. 


From The Garden :



Since the tomatoes did not get very big we just ate from them all summer. They have about played out so soon I will take the cages up and clean up their spot.

The cucumbers have all died now and I have cleaned off that area. 

The squash did not do well at all and those plants died. 



I still have bell peppers and I get a few regular.


BUT I do have okra. Its time for the okra, its a late summer food and will give me food till the freeze.

Last week I did go into the next town over to the co-op and I got green seed. Kale, mustard, turnip and collard greens. Hopefully those will be planted within the next couple of weeks. 


I am still getting figs so I am eating these since I have enough canned.

The stockpile :

Since canning all the figs I have slacked and I have not canned anything. However, I have been chopping and freezing the okra weekly. I will give a mess away and keep a mess, I do this over and over. I hope with the rain it will grow plenty more for everyone!

I bought six clam shells of baby bella mushrooms at Aldi for .99 each so I intend to home can those for later.

The Learning :

I remind myself all the time to keep learning, do not get left behind by not knowing things. But I am going back in time when things were simple and were made on the homestead and not bought. 

I have been making products at home and using them, if they seem to do the job I add those to the new store, if not I toss that idea and product in the trash and start again and fix what I felt was the problem. 

This weekend it was washing liquid and washing powder, both work so both are for sell. To see more click here : Homemade Washing Powder 

Soon, I hope, I will be making quilts. What screams homestead more than homemade quilts? Sell them? Sure! why not?

What is going on at your homestead?

By Andria Perry
Photos By Andria Perry

8 comments:

  1. While my plants did grow they did not fruit. We had bad heat waves and it was imposibles to keep up with watering everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what you really have to do with container gardening. This year I am working more so I did not give my undivided attention and yes the cucumbers did suffer.

      Delete
  2. I like how your learning and ideas never stop Angie! Our garden was basically a flop from the beginning but thanks to the farmers markets we were able to stock up with lots of vegetables. Can't wait to see your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just spent last week up at The Shack. I never feel like I get enough done. But I did replace some problem sheets of tin on the roof. I'm very proud of that. Your okra and figs look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am proud of you for getting the tin up!
      Thank you, I take what is given from God.

      Delete
  4. As always your journey inspires! Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete