Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Getting Off The Grid - Running Late




Welcome to my journey to get off the grid and making a homestead.

The week of the 11th to the 17th. was a back and forth week, normal for me at this time, at this point in life.

This month the temperatures have been higher than normal and rainy for Alabama so I am not sure how this will effect the fruit trees, I did not get to tap the trees to make syrup, the main reason being that many I want to tap could be underwater this week with all the rain, so I do not want to waste. All I can do it note it on my book about this year and try again next year.

I have the area cleaned now and I just have a few small pines to drop and its ready to build on.

My Work Week - February 11-17, 2019

Monday -  I made cheese! I had read a blog about making cheese at home and without any special equipment. I made two type instead of just one, I just used 1/2 for each type so I got two 8 ounce containers. I made plain with just salt, a little to much salt!, and its more like a soft mozzarella and I made pepper Jack and I let it set out longer to get a little harder and it turned out wonderful!

Tuesday - I slept all day, it rained. As I have been told I do deserve a day off. Yes working on the homestead is hard work but once you get used to it, it feels normal to get up and chop down a tree.

Wednesday - I worked at the old home place, cleaning the tree debris. While I had one day without prediction of rain. This needed to have been done a whole back but was not so I decided to get this part done, I worked a couple hours and got most of it contained to the back edge of the property, this property is not large but on the side of a mountain so the work feels harder. I just have small stuff to move now and I will take a tarp with me next time and try to get all of it in one pull down the hill.

 Thursday -  I cut down five pine trees, dragged some limbs to the street. I concentrated on this for the day since there was no rain yet, I am using an electric saw so I have to plan. Five down and twelve to go!




Friday - Pulled brush to the street, I had a pile by the driveway that needed to be moved so I could work on this side of the driveway, I burned the raked up pile of chopped blackberry bushes, pine straw and poison ivy vines (I used a mask). I did not have a full day to work so I did what I could in a couple hours, the fire was past dark and I was lucky it did burn all the way because the rain came.


Saturday -  I cut the last of the vines in the area I want cleared, cut some small branches off the pines with the loppers, next I began cutting on the south side of the property against the fence, the other side of the driveway, I want this clear for a building or parking. I dragged more brush to the street for pickup. I have all of the cut down limbs to the street except a few pine limbs. I am sure I will get those moved before the next pick up. I also sowed more tomato seen in flower pots, big boys this time, after all its only a month till Spring!

Sunday - Took off because of the rain and went into town.

The weather is all crazy right now, as usual for this time of the year in Alabama, but we are having an entire week of rain coming for the 17th. till 24th. I have not gotten to use the wood chipper! I put it in a closet.

What to do while it rains and you are stuck in the house? 

Plan! Plan the garden and what you`ll plant. 


Look for the seeds or plants you will be planting.

Draw up the plans to the new building, look at costs and compare building to buying.

Clean house! Since I have been working outside I let the inside slide. Get rid of clutter, best time of the year to do this, new year, clean and clutter free home.

Clean out the deep freezer, take inventory of what you need for the next growing season so you can plant.

How was your past week on your homestead? 

By Andria Perry
Photos by Andria Perry



I am still making progress on this homestead, getting a store built. For now I am just selling online, so check out my online store for homemade lotions, soaps and more. All made as natural as possible. Sunshine`s Homestead Creations. New scent added this week! Honey Almond.

4 comments:

  1. Andria, your commitment to your projects is awesome! Keep Going!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may but that camera today, if you could see the cleared area! Its an awesome feeling to do something so big like this all by yourself.

      Delete
  2. Rainy is how it was. Cafe comment this morning: "Scott County, Virginia, is closed on account of rain." People did venture out to buy lunch, but then again I did see mudslides along the road...

    ReplyDelete