Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Getting Off The Grid - So Close You Can Taste It


Getting Off The Grid - So Close You Can Taste It




Getting of the grid took a huge turn this year, for the better. I have put into place different methods of growing as well and learning new ways to make this a real earning homestead.

I don`t have farm animals on my homestead, not even a chicken. I am completely plant based at this point. I am good with this because I am still learning how to use the land and the plants God provided me with, plus I am not spending money to keep the animals up, however, I was given a goat but I have yet to get her to the homestead.



What is happening?

I did do a small test with a growing method. The one where you use bales of hay to grow food, or heaped on the ground. The method is supposed to be work free, water free and an abundance of food. 

It failed! The plants died.

Another thing about this, rats are attracted to the straw and bed in it. I also have to mention that snakes love to bed under the straw so you really have to watch sticking your hands down close to the base of any plants.

This method is not for me.

Another was "just dig a hole and plant" when the grass grew up, mow it.

In the past this has worked but this year there was some sort of pest that killed my beautiful tomato plants, they were filled with huge green tomatoes and the plant just died. 

I have yet to find out what did this. 

I was blessed last year with a wonderful amount of food, I am still eating from the freezer and the home canned foods.

 I am going to try and get the garden tilled for a fall planting.



What Is In Season?

At the moment I don`t have anything on the homestead to can or freeze, I will have to check out the farmers market to see what is offered up.





When will I get off the grid?

I know, I know! I have been talking about this for years. 

I have bought a small set up for emergencies. I have bought many solar powered items. 

I was just reading about a government plan that "might" be of help to me, I just have to see if its offered for my state.

It seems my go "make a living" job is taking much of my time.



What am I learning?

Plants! Yes I am learning about plants. What they can do for me.
So far I have tested out many and will have them for sell soon. Oh, I never sell anything until I test, so my salves do work!





How To Make Money?

Its my goal! to make money off the homestead, I started with the online store, now its time to have a physical store, so coming soon!
Click the link to shop now, September I am adding a new line of products. Sunshine`s Homestead Creations 

What is happening on your homestead? 

By Andria Perry
Photos by Andria Perry





4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you have coming in September. I have been workiong hard and going through much changes. I know what i want to do, now I am making a plan of action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be so proud of how much you have taught yourself and put into action!

    ReplyDelete