Thursday, March 28, 2019

Getting Off The Grid - And Life Begins




A lot went on with work and that took a good 5 days of my life to deal with, from hot water tanks going out as a landlady to emergency surgery for the caregiver job.

So, where does a homestead come in? 

On the weekend!


The Homestead :

With a week of dry, sunny days while I was away working the grass grew up and the pollen began to fly in the air. Ah, Spring!

I took out the riding mower for the first time this year and mowed one acre. The back field has not grown much. With the push mower I got the back yard mowed and around the house. 

I loaded the limbs that I had piled up after cutting onto the truck and drove those down to the road for pick up, I ended up with three loads.

I also mowed the garden area, all I have left are greens and turnips that are more than likely tough and fibrous and many were blooming and going to seed, I can bet before I have the garden plowed I will have new greens to pick, I sure hope so, a spring crop would be nice.

For The Garden: 

Yes, I am back to "for" the garden instead of "from" the garden. its the in between time I have, that I wished I didnt but do.


A couple weeks ago I sowed more tomato seed and a few bell pepper seed.

I potted up the tomato plants, that I sowed back in February, to bigger pots. I will have nice size plants to put out soon.

 I  sowed onion seed, in pots because they seem to get lost out in the garden, I have yet to make the bed just for onions. I also sowed seed for carrots in these huge pots, mostly so I can move them if need be.

I am also going to try out a couple new methods of planting.

The Learning :

I am learning new ways to plant, ways that will be easier for me, for one person to manage. I have found several ways, although most are costly, I might be able to start small.

How is life on your homestead? 

By Andria Perry
Photos by Andria Perry


I am still making progress on this homestead, getting a store built. For now I am just selling online, so check out my online store for homemade lotions, soaps and more. All made as natural as possible. Just click this link : Sunshine`s Homestead Creations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment