Friday, March 15, 2019

Getting Off The Grid - Almost Two Weeks




Rain, rain and rain. I am sure you all have had the same problems, everything is soaked and soggy. We have had a couple days here and there with sun to dry up that new lake in the field. I am ready for Spring and warmth to stay.

Today is supposed to be one of the last days of rain before a full week of sunny days and cool nights. But I will take them!March sure did come in like a lion so I am hoping for it to leave like a lamb.

No matter the weather, this homestead is coming to life.


The Homestead :

The old dog house had had it, they played wrestling in there on wet days and managed to kick one side apart, when I nailed it back it was not long that is came off again breaking the edge, I wrapped it in a tarp till I went to buy new 2 x 4`s and plywood.

I finally got it built with help from Tony, he couldnt work but he held the plywood till I got it nailed into the 2 x 4.  This time I only put in 1/2 bale of straw and it was more than plenty and I elevated this one so it would not be sitting on the cold ground, the other was about 2 inches off the ground but over time and the soil washing it was on the ground and rotting.

The grass and weeds are growing, with a little sun and warmth they are already to be mowed. Maybe this weekend I can get to that.

I still have to cut down 12 small pines. I still have not gotten to use my new wood chipper.

From The Garden :

I have to say that when I asked God to bless the patch of greens, he did! while most of the turnip green tops died there are still plenty of turnips, how woody they are I do not know. The curly mustard is putting back out as well as the kale. I will try to get those picked and home canned. 



The sage is putting out nicely and I have mint everywhere!

The new rhubarb I planted last year had came up, got killed back and is showing up once more.

 Dandelion greens everywhere. 

Chamomile has began to come up as well, it will be a while before it blooms but I seen the greens popping up everywhere. 

Wild green onions, or is it the walking onions or shallots? Once a row was planted in the garden and was plowed the next spring, so I am thinking that patch may be those. I wont eat them because I have not learn to tell crows poison from wild onions. I did keep a few walking onions in my flower bed.



Inside I still have baby tomatoes and several about 6 inches tall. Those big boys did not come up so I will sow those again and if they do not come up this next time the seeds were old and I bought them online. 

Learning :

I never stop learning and I never stop trying new ways to garden and grow food.

I want to container garden, I want a garden with no weeds or grass! But where do I get the good rich soil? Bags? Oh man! that would take $1,000 to fill them. 

While I look into this one way, I tried it and all I am doing is making a raised bed for rats to nest, needless to say I quickly stopped that. I do not, nor do I desire to raise rats in the garden!

Back to the drawing board. 

Stockpiling? 

I have not began to pick and stock anything.

How is life on your homestead? 

By Andria Perry
Photos by Andria Perry

I am still making progress on this homestead, getting a store built. For now I am just selling online, so check out my online store for homemade lotions, soaps and more. All made as natural as possible. Sunshine`s Homestead Creations.  


6 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to make dandelion wine. And I love rhubarb. But not necessarily with strawberries in pie. I'd just as soon boil it with some sugar and eat it plain-city. I grew up eating that. And I like rhubarb because it's perennial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try your way this year, this is my first time growing my own. I have never made dandelion wine.

      Delete
  2. I need to buy some dirt so I can get my seeds started indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things have been crazy here I have not even thought about gardening. The weather can't make up its mind what it wants to do. Cold one day, hot the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have missed you! I think we will settle down to spring now, hope it gets to you soon!

      Delete