Saturday, May 25, 2019

Getting Off The Grid - Spring Picking and Hot Days




A May day

Its cloudy and damp, prediction of more rain, three of the four days, Sunday ending.

I went out for a walk with the dogs, gave them some love and spotted what I see growing and waiting on me.

I came inside and got a sack, me and the dogs went picking!



I picked more honeysuckle, I noticed how so many were ripe, meaning yellow.



The pretty daisy like flowers of chamomile were smiling all over the lawn, they grow wild here in the spring, Today was my first picking, I did not take to many.

The sage is small but I got a handful, it all adds up in the end.




Next was the mint by the deck steps, its nice size and a deep pretty green.

As I put the dogs back into their area of the backyard I took a sack with me back there as well, poke salad along the fence, I picked another mess, this one I might just have for supper instead of canning or freezing.

I was not finished. 

The new rose bush by the back steps has been in full bloom for a week, while I made rose jelly from the other bush I have not from this one. Its a different color red so I picked all the blooms that were a couple days old, leaving plenty to enjoy looking at and for another picking.

Once inside I have everything a good rinse in cold water, laid it out to dry on clean towels.

The rose and honeysuckle blooms get a cup boiling water over each to make the tea, I allow it to sit overnight.

The mint,sage and chamomile will dry on the dehydrator racks naturally.

The poke salad will be cooked properly and ate or stored for another day.

I also did a little, very little, work. I cut down a poison Ivy vine growing by the deck. That thing comes back every year and I  get a rash, second hand from the cat jumping up and over it.



What`s Going On

I moved the 2 x 6`s so that I can clean that area from grown up grass, this will be where I set up the rocket stove. The location is perfect for the mid day and evening shade of the hickory tree.

I finally bought a new umbrella for the deck, I will get back to making soap, the online store is getting low, plus I need to build up the stock for the store when I get it set up. What`s your favorite scented bath soap?

What`s Growing



As I mentioned before I have a tiny garden this year, not plowed but shoveled by me and me alone. I could have used the tiller, I could have hired someone with a tractor but I am trying something new. Something new for older women like me.

I have 17 tomato plants and 8 sweet bell pepper plants, I have planted  the "three sisters" of squash/zucchini with green beans and corn, Not many but enough for me. Cucumbers but not on a trellis as I would have liked. I already have baby green tomatoes!

I waited a couple weeks and planted gourds, more green beans and cucumbers on one side of the greenhouse skeleton. They have not sprouted, yet.

In pots I have new basil and parsley. I still have the green onions and they are about the size to began to pick and have with dinner.

What`s Stocked?

I have been busy picking and cleaning poke salad, I have managed a case of pints so far, Honeysuckle jelly and rose jelly for the store.

I am drying basil and sage, chamomile and mint. 


Learning

I have to say that I learn something new everyday. Whether word of mouth or reading.

I am interested in basket making, but we`ll see how far that goes.

How are you doing with your homestead? 



By Andria Perry
Photos by Andria Perry



NEW! All natural insect repellent and lotions with special oils to reduce sunburn, All at Sunshine`s Homestead Creations.

I am still making progress on this homestead, getting a store built. For now I am just selling online, so check out my online store for homemade lotions, soaps and more. All made as natural as possible. Sunshine`s Homestead Creations

4 comments:

  1. The store items look interesting - as always you are the hardest working person I know!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but I must say, last week felt lazy.

      Delete