Monday, January 14, 2019

Getting Off The Grid- January Work





I know most people think its winter so homesteaders don`t do anything but sit inside and enjoy the benefits of what they canned and froze all summer. But if I did that I would always be behind and never get caught up. 

For my homestead January is time to  clear off gown up bushes and cut down small trees, there are no snakes or poison oak to trip over.

Last Saturday, January 12th.,  I went out and I began one of the projects I have as a goal for 2019 ( Read more about that here : 2019 Goals ) I had to cut back the ground cover, that consist of over grown dead grass and blackberry bushes, once I got that cleaned off I cut down all the small bushes with the loppers.

Rain came in so I took Sunday office.



Monday it was not sunny, nor warm. Just around 50 degrees with a slight breeze, but I did not allow that to stop me, this time I got out the saw and I cut down 27 small trees, Privet. Some were as big as a golf ball and some were as big around as coffee cups, only two were pines, I trimmed off the branches and saved the trees to use for posts.  

I worked for several hours so I did not get cold at all.

The section I am clearing is more or less 12 feet wide and 20 feet long. I have almost got it squared off, when I do I will rake it clean.

What did I do with the cut down brush? I dragged it a block away down by the road so the city can pick it up, Yes I maybe be country but its still the city limits and they will do this brush pick up now, thank goodness!

This is one winter I hope to get all the grown up  areas cut down and ready to set up the buildings. 



One building will be a greenhouse for sure, not like the disaster hoop greenhouse from last year, but one made from wood and windows. If its Gods will.

That is what is happening on my homestead, how about yours? 

Speaking of homesteads, be sure to check out Sunshine`s Homestead Creations, I have added Valentine Specials! 

By Andria Perry
Photos by Pixabay

12 comments:

  1. Still some brush-cutting to do...and I'm glad Sunshine's Homestead Creations is getting orders! (I didn't make *all that* much profit as the weather shrank my market season from four months to two--didn't buy any merchandise from anyone else. But still will, one day.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some weeks are slow and some are piled with orders, I am new so I expect challenge.

      Its good to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. It's the preparation you do in the "slack" times, that allows you to even keep up in the busy tines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, so you have a homestead don`t you.?

      Delete
  3. Still building the house in the hills and will be installing solar panels for the electric needs, Wi-fi will be a challenge as we are off the grid far enough that no cable companies with line connections reach the area, water is delivered by truck once every 6 weeks and we are installing storage tanks for that. I love the piece of mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful! But you need to look into getting a well drilled, paying for water means you working to pay from now on.

      Delete
  4. We have gotten a lot of cold weather and snow here. Happy to hear you are getting so much done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Angie you energy and committment to making this work for you is awesome...Happy New Year to you and Tony and I hope it brings you all you wish for and good health :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I believe hard work pays off.Same to your for the New Year.

      Delete