Monday, January 21, 2019

Getting Off The Grid- Its Been One Week


January in Alabama can be a wild ride, one day the temperature will be 66° and the next day it will be 35°, one day sunshine the next a flash flood so you really have to work around or with the weather. The second week of January was cloudy but not to bad on the temps, the third week a little more sun and warmer temps, till Sunday and a cold front pushed in, however, I went with the changes to make the positive changes here, on the homestead. 

Last week I did manage to get back to the clearing of land by hand with electric saw and loppers, a few days around normal "go make a living work" and a day of rain.

Progress :

The area I am working on has had blackberry bushes to grow, produce and die. This was always an area I could not get into to pick the berries because of the overgrown bushes, much less clean up the dead. Its difficult cutting the dead into smaller pieces to rake up but I am managing.

By me starting at the edge and working my way into this area, cutting whatever is in my path, has been the best way to get this area cleaned up and once again usable.

Sunday although it was cold at 35° with a little wind I still got out and put in a couple hours of work. I cut down two pine trees, cleaned the branches off of them and pulled them aside, I will cut those and use for posts. I piled the branches just outside the garden area, when the needles die and fall off I can use the small branches. They will be cut up, for kindling. The dogs had a good time being with me in the fields, a change from the backyard. 



Planting :

Yes, you read that right! I usually plant by the moon and have success so this past weekend was the full moon, the lunar eclipse, blood moon. A good time to sow seed.

I sowed seed for the first round of tomatoes, I received the seed for the "beefsteak" type of tomato in the mail and I planted about 100 plants,  about 16 with their own pot and the rest a mass planting in a huge pot to be transplanted when big enough. The 16 will go into the ground as soon as last frost, maybe in the flower beds, depends on how far I am around the homestead when that time comes.

I am still waiting for the big boy tomato seeds to arrive.

In The Garden:


I am still getting curly mustard, kale and turnip greens with turnips, from the garden. God blessed me this year with more than enough and I have shared, still will of anyone wants more. I intend to home can another case if possible before the tilling for the spring garden.

This Weeks Plans :

I have two projects that needs to be done, one is to begin to build the first of six buildings. The other is to finish clearing and clean the one area for a building. 

Buy seed for sweet bell pepper, we eat those a lot so I need to get plants going inside. 

What did you accomplish on your homestead this passed week?

Stop by and check out "Sunshine`s Homestead Creations" online store, I have specials monthly. 

By Andria Perry
Photos By Andria Perry




11 comments:

  1. There is no progress without effort. Keep on going! I managed to get our backyard cleaned up this past weekend. Although, towards the end of it well it was really cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I am in central Alabama our temps are not as bad as some places, but I know what you mean.

      Delete
  2. I have heard that planting by the moon's cycles is good for growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I have success following the cycles.

      Delete
  3. I love wild blackberries. I have this Mountain Blackberry Cobbler recipe... and as to the (what I call "original") beefsteak tomato, well it may be somewhat ugly, but it is truly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still cleaning up snow-killed wood, when it's not too wet or cold, which mostly it is. Current focus is on neatening my samizdat collection, which gives me something to do indoors, moving things and stacking shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When its cold I do stay inside, and I clean my stuff. :)

      Delete
  5. Your super projects impress me very much!!! Wish you a great success with realizing them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have learned of you want something bad enough, you`ll work hard to get it.

      Delete
  6. I stumbled across your blog on pinterest We haven't spoken in years, since I was in an online couponing group with you. Funny how much can change in just a few years I too am now living the simple homestead life. Not really sure why it's called the simple life, it should be called the hard work life. It's been three years since building my own home and starting the homestead my only regret is not starting sooner. I'm glad I found you again looking forward to seeing your journey unfold.

    ReplyDelete